Last updated on December 7, 2020
Opay is one of the fastest-growing payment platforms, the platform enables our users to shop and pay for services and products through their mobile or web browser. If you have decided to become an Opay agent in Nigeria
then i will say thumbs up for making a good decision, this post covers an overview about becoming an Opay Agent in Nigeria and of course all the necessary Opay Agent Registration Requirements to get you started.
What is Opay All about?
OPay is an ePayment wallet launched by Opera software company the developers of the popular Opera mini web browser. It is a mobile payment platform that allows its users to pay for goods and services electronically using a mobile phone via the OPay App
I want to believe almost everyone of us know what is Opera mini and must have used it to access the internet either to browse and acquire information or to download certain files such as music etc..
Opay is just a feature that is owned by the owners of Opera Mini who have developed the App to make it possible to make mobile transactions more efficient
- Read Also: How To Make Mobile Payments With Getbarter
The strategy behind Opay seems to be that as more people use these services, they will adopt OPay as their preferred payment platform since it is quick and much easier to use
This is the reason why it is now used widely in Nigeria, most especially on school campuses, big cities and a couple of other countries in Africa.
Other Uses of Opay include
- Cable TV subscription
- Send and Recieve money
- Buy airtime and data
- Electriity Payment
Who is the CEO of Opay
Like i said earlier OPay was founded not by a person but by an already existing company, Opera. Opera is a popular browser of Norwegian origin.
That is to Opay is owned by a company consisting of different people coming together to achieve a need target and not an individual person
It was launched in August 2018, after Opera acquired Paycom
- Read Also: Does Cash App Work in Nigeria?
Who is An Opay Agent
OPay agent is a merchant licensed to render OPay services to customers in need of such services, these are the un-banked and under-banked be it in the rural communities or urban areas as the case may be
How To Become An Opay Agent In Nigeria
To become an Opay agent there are some certain requirements you will have to meet up before you could be given license to work as an Opay agent
OPay Agent Registration Requirements
- You must be literate and able to do simple communication (such as to read and write)
- Provide the following documents; passport photo, utility bill, means of ID and Corporate Affair Commission documents (optional).
- A smaller or medium size shop will be required for customer base contact.
- You must have an android mobile phone that is functional and internet friendly
- Customer relation skills will be an added advantage.
- BVN: Biometric verification number is another requirement that you will have to provide during registration.
Why is Bank BVN Needed For Opay Registration?
You may be wondering why you have to give your Bank Verification Number (BVN) during Opay agent registration,
It is quiet simple, O Pay is a financial services provider regulated by the Central Bank of Nigeria.
And there is a stipulated KYC (Know Your Customer) requirement that the CBN has mandated financial institutions to collect from their customers after which they can begin to transact certain volumes.
Without Collecting BVN i know some People will have intentions of running away one day so the BVN bio-metric will make it possible to track such agents.
How To Register And Become An Opay Agent
If you have acquired the needed requirements for Opay agent, the next step is to proceed on and register with them and get licensed to work as an agent
3. Fill your information as contained in the form displayed which says: are you an existing mobile money agent, phone number, first and last name, your email address, state of residence, check the square box and click on “sign up.”
- Opay will contact you, please prepare the following documents
- Your BVN
- Utility bill not later than 3 months prior to registration as a proof of your address
- Copy of any of the following ID card: national ID card, driver’s license or international passport
- One passport photograph.
Benefits of Becoming an OPay Agent
As an Opay Agent there are so many benefits you are entitled to below are the benefits of becoming an opay agent
- You will enjoy quick settlement and cash withdrawal from your wallet.
- OPay will give you POS free as an agent, you don’t have to pay for it which i find it quite awesome
- No amount is needed to start, Opay registration is free.
- Opay customer care are very quick in response
- As an agent, you will also benefit from zero charges for all your transactions (airtime recharge, electricity bill, cable TV subscription, and cash transfer and withdrawal).
OPay App Download
OPay App is only available on Android. You can download at the Google Play Store. OPay App can be supported on Android phones running Android 5.0 and above.
This means that most cheap Android phones can support OPay. The app is not yet supported on iOS devices (i.e. iPhones and iPads).
Below are frequently asked questions regarding Opay services in Nigeria
How to Fund your OPay Wallet
There are usually two major ways to fund your Opay wallet, you can either fund your wallet if you have a bank account and also if you don’t have a bank account
1. Using The Bank Method
The first method (my preferred method) is to make a transfer from your bank account using internet banking or mobile banking app to the phone number you used to signup for OPay removing the first zero as your account number and Paycom as a bank.
This means that if your registered phone number is 08111111111, the account number to send the money to is 81111111111.
Banks currently supporting direct transfer to OPay include GTBank, First Bank, Access Bank, Zenith Bank, UBA, Stanbic IBTC, Diamond Bank, Wema Bank, Sterling Bank, FCMB, Union Bank, and Heritage Bank
2. The second method for funding your OPay wallet is to add your ATM card/debit card to your OPay account. You just add the credentials and you are good to go.
People who don’t have a bank account yet or can not have access to their account, you need to use an OPay agent to fund your account. You give than cash and your OPay number and they send you the electronic value to your OPay wallet.
To find an OPay agent near you, just open the app and tap Nearby agents, you will get all agents near you with their address and even phone number.
How To Withdraw From Opay Wallet
If you already have a working Opay account and want to withdraw funds from there, It depends on whether you want to withdraw cash or you want to withdraw to your bank account.
To withdraw cash you need to visit an OPay agent near you and request a withdrawal. The agent will give you their OPay number, you will transfer the fund to them and they give cashless the transaction.
While depositing funds to OPay via agent is free, withdrawing funds comes with a transaction cost ranging from 50 Naira to 1,500 Naira.
- Read Also: How To Open A Payoneer Account In Nigeria
To withdraw to bank account, just tap on Transfer, then in Send to options select Bank. Now choose your, bank, account number, and the amount you want to transfer and tap Done.
How to Transfer Funds to other OPay users
If you have funds if your Opay wallet account and want to transfer to other Opay users, all you need to do is to
Tap the Transfer icon, then choose OPay in the Send to option.
Now, enter the recipient’s phone number (registered number on Opay) and the amount you want to transfer and tap Done.
Conclusion: How To Become An Opay Agent In Nigeria
In conclusion, with all of the information we have given you above, you should have a vivid idea of what OPay is all about
If you wish to become an opay agent in Nigeria maybe in your school, market or anywhere at all i hope this post has cleared some of your questions about Opay agent registration requirements
If you love this article give it a thumbs up by sharing!!!
Is An Award Winning Blogger, Entrepreneur & Passionate Writer. On This Blog, He Shares His Ideas On Blogging, Reviews, Business Tips To Help People Make Money Both Online And Offline